It turns out that the item was defective, and I called customer support to get an RMA number to return the adapter. I went through all the hoops that I despise, even though I know that the customer support people are required to go down a list of things that probably aren’t wrong, just in case they can find a way to place the blame on you, your network, your power, your cat, etc. [there’s a pat-on-the-back bounty for anyone who can find that online article that was all about this dude at a customer support center revealing all the different strategies people around the call center used to get people off the phone].
Anyhow, I finally went through all the foolish things I had to do (including, but not limited to, power-cycling my wireless router, which was currently working with the built-in Wi-Fi adapter in my laptop) and was given a case number. That case number is used to fill-out an online RMA request. You go to the D-Link website and enter in all you information (including the case number) and boom: they give you a bar-coded form that you print and include with your return so they know why you’re sending them a package.
There’s only one problem: there’s a step in the process where you have to choose between a “Replacement” return (where you send the item back, and they send you a replacement once they’ve tested it or whatever) and a “Cross Shipment” return (where they sell you a new one, then reimburse you when they get the defective item). That step was a roadblock, since neither big, throbbing button on the page actually does anything. Nope. Nothing. Nada.
<form> element and then submitted the form. Unfortunately, the form was defined after the entire page, including the
</html> element. Maybe it was just Firefox’s propensity to — uh, I dunno — comply with HTML rules, but you can’t define anything useful outside of the page boundary.
Teh Intarweb: 0